Progressive Web Apps
It became popular recently to create some special mobile applications which will allow customers to have a quick access to the web service with comfortable user interface. Such applications have a lot of different benefits for website owners and that is why web developers have a lot of various technologies for web apps creating nowadays. Today we are going to talk about one of the newest technologies called Progressive Web Apps.
So, what is a Progressive Web App or PWA?
PWA is a group of applications which use a set of different web technologies and allow us to unite the simple usage of a website and specific technical opportunities of native apps. Thus, it will not be necessary to download applications on smartphones or tablets anymore. You will be able to open the web service in a simple browser but still this service will not be less comfortable for use than usual native app.
Advantages of PWA
- The main purpose of PWA is to make web apps more simple for use and, as a result, to increase the number of users.
- Progressive Web Applications use the method of the gradual improvement as their main principle of work.
- PWA should have responsive web design which means that such applications have to work properly on all the user’s devices: desktop, laptop, smartphone, tablet or phablet.
- Progressive Web Applications also use Service Worker technology, so they still will work offline even if there is no Internet connection.
- PWA have the comfortable user interface, so they look just like native apps and, as a result, users are familiar with the apps navigation.
- PWA application controls the process of auto-updating with the help of Service Worker API.
- Progressive Web Apps are safe for using. They prevent interception and substitution of data.
- Search engines identify the PWA as an application but not as a website.
- PWA can motivate customers to use the application one more time, for instance, by sending them push notifications.
- Progressive Web Applications are easy to save without App store using.
- It is enough to open the URL to start using the PWA application. Installation is not required.
How does it work?
Users get the link from any application or website, then they open it on their smartphones and after the webpage is downloaded, they have a high-grade application ready for using. Thus, it becomes easier to start using a new app because there is no need to open an app store and wait until the needful application will be installed on your device.
Depending on the user’s wish any app can be added to the home screen with the help of an application function called “Web app install banner”. The same function can be implemented in browser settings. It will be enough to choose “Add to home screen” option in this case.